SmartphoneRecycling.com has developed a unique hybrid approach to data security & erasure, based on the specific needs of our diverse participants. We offer a Standard Data Erasure option and a Certified Data Erasure option, which are explained in detail below:
Standard Data Erasure
We factory reset MOST devices at the SmartphoneRecycling.com facility. Outdated items are physically destroyed through a shredding process.*
- Selected older phones may be sold to refurbishment companies who erase the data.
- ‘No power’ devices may be sold to parts reclamation companies, who erase the data or destroy the motherboard.
|Our default option is free. This option will maximize our payout to you.|
Certified Data Erasure
We factory reset ALL devices at the SmartphoneRecycling.com facility. Outdated items are physically destroyed through a shredding process.*
- Devices that cannot be factory reset will be physically destroyed through a shredding process.
- You will receive a Certificate of Data Erasure certifying your devices were factory reset or physically destroyed through a shredding process.
|This upgraded & certified option will reduce our payout to you by 40%.*|
* Under our Standard Data Erasure policy, we factory reset or physically destroy most devices, but we do sell selected older devices and 'no power' devices to 3rd party companies who specialize in these devices and erase the data when applicable. This recycling model, which we have employed for over 15 years, allows us to maximize the payout to our participants. Under our Certified Data Erasure service, we do not resell ‘no power’ smartphones and older flip phones to 3rd parties. These devices are shredded. As such, no recycling proceeds are realized from these devices, which reduces our payout to our participants. All recycling options are governed by our terms & conditions.